My number came up in last week's Zakka draw!! I have won $30 gift voucher from Zipit, our favourite Etsy zip store. I foresee many zippy pouches in my future, really chuffed to win, thank you Zipit.
This week's Zakka style project is a smallish quilt - I am giving this one a body swerve for now as my holiday approaches - but I was asked yesterday if I could make another cot quilt for my little nephew and I think this one might fit the bill.
Looking ahead through the projects a couple of weeks ago, I started making the messenger bag - I spent a lovely self-indulgent day breaking the back of the project but had to put it on the back burner until I sourced and took delivery of the required hardware.
I pencilled in today as the day it would be completed and despite an unscheduled babysit, I have just managed to complete it.
It is actually next week's project but too excited not to share now.
The book, of course, suggested linen, but I have a wee pile of interesting fabrics that one of my lovely ladies in class - "Pink Caryl" provided. She has a friend who works in a textile company, not sure where or what, but she accesses samples that...wait for it......sit down............would otherwise be sent to .......landfill!!
Most of these fabric samples are decent sized, all home decorating weight, so when Caryl brings a pile to class, we all shout , with one accord - "BAGS".
So the fabric in my stash that became my bag outer, is a cotton/silk blend, yum, and has a quilted finish. My husband, known for his artisitc sensibilities, thinks it looks like a bit of carpet underlay - remember "Tredaire?"
The leaves were fashioned from scraps of faux suede and other home dec samples I have had for many years. They give lovely texture to the front of the bag.
Inside I used fresh, new apple cotton but miscalculated the amount needed and had to mix it with some Lizzy House bracelet fabric.
I used a strong cotton webbing for the straps. This is one of those smug makes that hasn't cost much at all, I might even use it!
I found the pattern fine to follow. I did reduce the width of the gusset (not keen on the word "gusset") and I completely missed the instruction to topstitch the top of the pockets..grrrr.......and I think I might slip something into the base just to firm up my bottom. (steady...!!)