Monday 3 April 2017

Catch Up

I did mean to come back and update you on my sewing projects but my blogging has fallen way behind my quilting, so here goes.

In March I looked forward to Month 2 of the Bella Skill Builder BOM that I started in February - it is being featured each month on the Fat Quarter's Blog, The Jolly Jabber. So March featured an Orange peel block that didn't fill me with enthusiasm - applique isn't my favourite but I got stuck in. I had a look at the YouTube tutorial and did consider the interfacing technique but I have used it before and am not too good at producing a result where the interfacing is completely invisible so I resorted to machine applique because I am very familiar with my machine stitches and have used the applique stitches many times. Here are my results -


and together, with February's blocks,

When I started this BOM, using old shirts and some solids I had in mind that I might used the odd patterned shirt but as I see the blocks grow I absolutely love the look of the solids together - I have never before made a quilt just using plain fabric, maybe it's after making a couple of very scrappy projects, but I am fast becoming a convert.

I was obviously in the mood for patchwork last month because I made a few blocks for Siblings Together - those of you previously in my classes will recall making quilts last year for this worthy cause. Perhaps you'd like to join in again this year? Nicky has asked for a different couple of blocks this year and instead of raking through my scraps I used some larger leftovers and made these co-ordinating blocks.


We have quite a special family holiday coming up and so I thought some holiday stitching might be the order of the day, or month...........

Matching backpacks for Grandma and Ava,

The big one, mine, was made from old jeans with lining and pocket from a horded Kaffe shot cotton - after an inner argument along the lines of "you've had it for two years, use it!!"
The little one, was made from two of Ava's daddy's old shirts. Merida was stitched out on my Janome embroidery machine from a purchased pattern.
The backpack pattern is a very old one that I have had for years, by Bethany Reynolds.

The small person also had a holiday purse crafted for her holiday pennies.........


And there is just one more item that has been made but it needs a few extras added before I can show it off here...............

Other holiday planning usually involves a little EPP for me and this year I have decided to do a small Lucy Boston project. A couple of years ago a book of Lucy Boston's quilts arrived in the post from an old friend, a totally unexpected gift. She had been visiting the Manor at Hemingford Grey in Cambridgeshire and thought of me.
I have been aware that one of the quilts in the book has become a very popular EPP project on the internet but noted that my friend had mentioned another as her "favourite" so I thought it might be an idea to go forward with that and try making a panel of LB keyboard patchwork, mostly made up of octagons.
I was really pleased to source octagonal templates and freezer papers from Pelenna Patchworks and they do little charm packs in shapes too. Great service as well.


Wasn't too sure about the orange, as I hadn't really chosen my main fabrics. Then one day when I was tidying my room............the fabrics just called to me! 


I got this lovely Cotton & Steel fabric from Helen in a recent destash - perfect!!
And to go with it? A lovely black Paisley -shirt!!

Since taking this photo I have stitched all the fabric onto the papers but have yet to make my mind up on the colour for the background squares, the tiny little squares that will peek through from behind. Leaning towards green. Of course!!

As I am about to begin a new EPP project, I am relieved to report that I have finished an old one, at least the EPP bit.


I think this has been a long time in the making, I wonder what it will end up as........................?

In a recent visit to friends in Edinburgh I had to snap their hall floor, don't know why I've never done it before. Maybe a quilt of the future?

Enjoy your week. 







2 comments:

  1. Phew Sheila! That was a real whistlestop tour of your projects, you have been working hard. The all solid blocks are really lovely I think you made the right decision there. I have a couple of Oakshott FQ's hoarded too so I know exactly how that thought process went :) Ava will be thrilled with those matching bags so using up the Oakshott fabric will definitely have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects Sheila....everything that you make is awesome . . but those backpacks take the cake
    Have fun EPP'ing during holiday time!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...